top of page
  • BAG History Group

22 -24 Coromandel Parade



The two storey mansion at 22-24 Coromandel Parade was built in 1881 for Member of Parliament, William Townsend and, given its position close to the railway station, was probably planned in anticipation of the construction of the railway.


Townsend who arrived in South Australia in 1853 was involved in politics from the beginning of responsible government in SA, having helped frame the 1855 Constitution. At one time he was Mayor of Adelaide, on the Board of Management of the Adelaide Hospital and a Congregational lay preacher. He unfortunately lived in the house for only one year before his death in 1882. It passed to Mr Alexander Downer, Solicitor, in 1889 and later to the Campbells. In the 1920s it was the Dall family home. In the mid 20th century it was divided into two flats. For the last 50 years it has been the home of the Kambitsis family.


Rowland Rees who arrived in Adelaide in 1869 was the original architect. Several of the buildings around the city designed by Rees are characterised by ebullient Italianate facades such as is seen on the Kambitsis house. The work of Rees was identified by his careful attention to detail, the bold structure of his chimneys, pronounced hood moulds, decorative pilasters and capitals, use of parapets with baroque pediments and expert siting of buildings.


This local heritage listed house is important as one of the larger mansions constructed in the township of Blackwood, its scale (including 20 rooms and five bathrooms) and detailing representing a less common style in the area. Its beautiful garden is lovingly restored and maintained and best appreciated by pausing for a few moments on one of the benches outside the house.

Comments


bottom of page